Monday, August 3, 2009

Thesis Submitted.

Phew. It's in. Finally.

The title: Liverpool ’08: The “Edgy City”
Examining the role of cultural discourses in the production of space


My European Studies Master's Thesis was officially submitted this morning (thanks in no small part to Paula).

It was a crazy last few weeks of writing and revising and cutting (snip, snip, snip). This last week has been especially challenging because Seattle was going through a heatwave. It was getting to be so unbearably hot and uncomfortable that I actually paid to stay in an air-conditioned hotel for two nights. It was a bold move but well worth it given the improved productivity level and peace and quiet. Also coinciding with my thesis deadline were military training exercises by the Blue Angels. The decibel level of these jets flying overhead was another contributing factor to my hotel stay. It felt as though I was in a city under attack last week (or with the extreme heat and military complex -maybe Texas).

It is sad not to be able to celebrate with my peers in Denmark this week. I have felt so removed from the thesis-camaraderie all semester. Thankfully, I had an incredibly supportive husband at my side. I know that he, too, is very relieved that this month is over.

As for the big question -what next? I do not know. It feels strange to be in limbo like this. I don't think I have ever been in a situation where I didn't know what was next on the horizon. I thought I'd be elated to be done with the thesis but right now I just feel a little unsettled. Either I have not completely let go of the idea that I'm on a deadline or I feel worried about finding a new outlet for productive energies. hmm...

No comments: