Tuesday, August 18, 2009

AMC 2-for-1

There is something very satisfying about getting two movies for the price of one and I just discovered that the downtown AMC in Seattle is an ideal place to pull off this guilty pleasure. Mallar and I caught 500 Days of Summer and Paper Heart on Saturday afternoon.


Both films are sweet and light-hearted romantic comedies -nothing award-winning but both still quite enjoyable and well-done for the genre. They are much quirkier and more interesting than the formulaic Matthew McConaughey/Kate Hudson style romantic comedy.

I have, however, been longing to see a really thick and thought-provoking movie lately. My friend Paula just wrote a blog about Lars von Trier's AntiChrist (which is only being released here in October) but it has renewed my interest in the kind of puzzling, difficult and haunting films that Trier is famous for making.


His movie Dogville is, to this day, the movie that has had the most significant emotional impact on me. After a preliminary web search on Lars von Trier, I think I might take the time to rent some of his earlier films. He is a fascinating director and because he rarely defends/explains his controversial creative choices -it is really interesting to analyze and deconstruct his films.

1 comment:

Paula said...

I wouldnt recommend Antichrist though- the movie is painful to watch primarily due to the violence. I have become very intrigued by dogville and am going to rent it this weekend. Its really strange though, how the movie sticks to your head afterwards. I have been reading about Lars' childhood- nudist camps?! and the atheist background and all that- and how he very recently discovered Christianity. Anti-Christ must have something to do with that. And yes, I thought about the Islamic connection with genital mutilation of women in the name of cleansing. Do write reviews if you do end up watching any of his earlier films. Im getting quite curious about him.