Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Bainbridge Island

Mallar celebrated his 32nd birthday on Sunday and in honour of the occasion we thought we'd go on a cycling excursion in the great outdoors. We have been trying to explore the region a little more and so it was a good opportunity to embark on a day trip to Bainbridge Island.
Bainbridge Island is just a 30 minute ferry ride away, across Puget Sound and just west of Seattle. It was really cheap and easy to do on our bikes.
The ferry ride itself was actually pretty exciting as there are great views of the cityscape and Mt. Rainier as you cross the Sound.


We arrived just around lunch time so we decided to fuel up at Harbour Public House restaurant. We shared a very tasty fish and chips plate and tried two of the local microbrews they had on tap. Had we gone on a Saturday I think we would have loaded up at the farmers' market and picnicked somewhere but I was very happy with the resto (good food, friendly staff, nice scenery).

We covered a good 3/4 of the island on bike in an effort to get to the Bainbridge Island Winery for a wine-tasting. Some of the routes we took were rather hilly but it felt good to push ourselves. I especially liked stopping every once and awhile to pick wild blackberries off the side of the bike path. Yummy...

We also stopped for a rest at Point White Dock and caught a few rays. It was a really gorgeous day and I think I might have gone for a swim if we had come prepared (although I did wade in up to my thighs to retrieve a little boy's toy that was floating away from him at the shore).

The water looked very clear and inviting. I'm not sure how clean it is -I guess next time we will ask.

No comments: