Friday, January 23, 2009

Still unpacking...



City exploration has been deferred for the short term as I have been anxious to finally finish unpacking. I am in full “squirrel mode” right now as I try to stash our stuff in all the right places. It’s fun to see all the books and CDs that we haven’t seen in the year and a half we were in Denmark. There is so much to rediscover. Makes the unpacking take two times as long as I “um” and “ah” over the long lost treasures. On the other hand, having lived for a stretch of time with a minimum of “things”, one realizes that paring down one’s possessions is also somewhat liberating: less to store, less to clean, less to worry about in general -it is a healthy exercise to go through as a packrat. I have had a tendency to keep just about everything, as a teacher especially, but even growing up. I think I was the only student in my elementary school classroom allowed more than one desk. I don’t know what grade that was, but I definitely remember having two desks at one point. It is a rather chronic condition. But honestly, you just never know when you are going to need that note, newspaper article or photo, that cute little storage box, yet another allen key or a jump rope, the Jackson 5 Christmas album (on cassette) –what a classic!, the fedora I affectionately call my pimp hat, the mason jar of cable adapters, the jingly belly scarf in bright turquoise and the promotional keychains from god knows what conference. Right?

4 comments:

Purple Pebbles said...

Hi McCabey! so lovely to read your last few posts -good to hear what you're up to -good luck with the rest of your unpacking! --hugs--

Paula said...

hahahah but then again rachel, you are a multi-faceted colourful bag of everything all by yourself..

Mom said...

God, does that ever bring back crazy memories of you as a little girl...saving, snitching and scrounching for every pretty little box you could find, and then filling them with weird little trinkets.
Remember how you coveted that tiny alarm clock that our tenant had, and you took it and hid it on him?

Rachel said...

yes mom, it's true -I was a bit of a weirdo about hiding things. i also remember setting Grandma's alarm clock and then hiding it so it would beep from a dresser drawer or closet at some unexpected time. i thought that was just hilarious for some reason.