Monday, February 2, 2009

Pike Place Market


I finally got to experience the famous Pike Place Market this past weekend. One of Seattle’s main tourists attractions, the market is the oldest continuously operating market in the USA. It was established in 1907, had its heyday in the 1930s, escaped plans for demolition in the 1960s and has become today one of Seattle’s most visited areas.
It was a busy Saturday afternoon on my first stroll through but even in my preliminary run through I could appreciate the variety of places to shop, eat, drink and see. The rowdy fishmongers put on quite a great show –yelling, singing and hurling salmon through the air (I think everyone waits in the hopes that a large, wet fish will accidentally hit someone upside the head), the bakery smells are totally irresistible, the produce is fresh and colorful and the seafood displays are amazing.

No comments: