Monday, May 18, 2009

Creative Fitness

Much of this blog has been about eating and drinking. It's true. I make no apologies. And I will likely write a whole lot more about Seattle restaurants and bars (as it is a real pleasure to explore this city with my taste buds). But lest you think that all I do is consume calories, I will highlight some of what I do to burn calories.


Firstly, I joined the Seattle YMCA. I like the vibe at the Y. I feel like real people are members. I try to stay away from the muscle-headed and plastic-looking narcissists of many city fitness clubs. They kind of creep me out. I much prefer to feel as though I am surrounded by a healthy cross-section of the community -children taking swimming lessons, grandpa on the recumbent bike, teenage boys playing every-man-for-himself b-ball in the gym, middle-aged women hopping around to Britney Spears -that's more my thing. Less gear and more cheer. So I signed up for a few complimentary sessions with a trainer at my local branch to help me put together a program. My trainer, Chad is a sweetheart -super positive and helpful -and also legally blind. I did not know this for a fact until a few minutes into our introductory meeting but yes, Chad is a visually impaired fitness trainer. How's that for a cross-section of the community? I have been following his workout regime for several weeks now. I also enjoy the aerobic and fitness classes offered at the Y -Zumba especially (it's Latin and African inspired aerobic dance choreography).

And speaking of dance... heehee... I am also enrolled in a 5 week dance class (at Century Ballroom Studios) that promises to teach me the full Beyoncé Single Ladies video routine!!! It is hilarious. There are a range of ages in my class -from 18 to 55, I'd say. There is even one male participant in the class. Perhaps he was inspired by Justin Timberlake's SNL spoof of the video. The choreography is do-able but as soon as we speed it up and try to work with the actual song it gets nuts. It's so fun. I don't know if there will be a final performance yet but Mallar keeps teasing me about when he can come watch my "dance recital".

5 comments:

Paula said...

work that booty girl!

Joey Veltkamp said...

Which YMCA Rachel? I used to work at the downtown one and it's the most diverse spot in Seattle. Loved it!

Rachel said...

It's the Meredith Matthews branch. I also go to the downtown Y from time to time -I'm actually going to start volunteering there at the Triangle Art Gallery for young artists. do you know anything about that?

Paula said...

I was just checking on the Beyonce video this morning- will you be wearing high heels when learning to dance? it really looks like a tough workout- some of those moves are slightly complicated. I really love the song- great rhythm! i wish they had something like that here, i'd be the first to sign up.

Joey Veltkamp said...

Hi Rachel:

Contact Shalimar (sgonzales@seattleymca.org) - it's a rad program!