Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Seattle to Liverpool via Amsterdam

The blog has been quiet for the last week or so because I have been traveling for my thesis. I am researching the discourses of culture that influence the production of space in the context of the EU "Capital of Culture" program in Liverpool (more on this at another time).

My flight to Liverpool was long but thankfully it was broken up by a lovely layover in Amsterdam. I had never been to the city before; it really is a delightful place. I spent the majority of my time in the Western Canal area sitting in the sun and watching the day go by.

It was early in the morning when I trained in to the center so I started off with a yummy breakfast of dutch pancakes and coffee. It was almost too perfect -sitting amid tulip-topped tables watching the Monday morning cyclists on their way to work.

It wasn't long before I found myself sitting at another outdoor terrace in the Jordaan area. Sitting in the sun with my white beer was the perfect antidote to the post-flight "ick" brought on by my 10 hour plane ride.

No comments: